Our History

 

Dan Bradley, a Congregational pastor from Grand Rapids, Mich., is selected as College president by the trustees. 

Herrick Chapel is built. It quickly becomes home to the vespers services that John H.T. Main began in 1901. The building was named for Stephen Leonard Herrick, an early settler in Grinnell and a local merchant and trustee of the College.

John H.T. Main, a professor of Greek at the College, begins 25 years of service as president of the College after two earlier stints as acting president. He establishes Grinnell as a residential college, building the North and South Campus halls.

The Christian Association “Y” Building is completed. Its name is changed to Steiner Hall in 1959 to honor Edward A. Steiner, a professor of applied Christianity at Grinnell from 1903 to 1941.

The College establishes the Grinnell-in-China educational mission, a pioneering program in foreign study in Techow, Shanghai, that continues until the Japanese invasion in 1937.

Harry Hopkins 1912 graduates from Grinnell. Hopkins and several other Grinnell graduates later worked on President Franklin D. Roosevelt’s team during the New Deal era in the 1930s. Hopkins served as commissioner of the Works Progress Administration, Secretary of Commerce, and later as special assistant to the president during World War II.

Pages