For over 30 years, the Scholars' Convocation series has created a common educational experience shared by the entire Grinnell College community. Established in the late 1970s in response to the college's move to an open curriculum, the accessible interdisciplinary nature of convocation offers an intellectual encounter that transcends disciplinary boundaries.
Scholars' Convocations are scheduled through a faculty committee. If you are planning or are interested in planning a Scholars' Convocation, please see Scholars' Convocation Proposals.
All Scholars' Convocations are held at noon in the Joe Rosenfield '25 Center, Room 101, unless otherwise noted.
- Sept. 10: Micah Zenko (Rosenfield Symposium-Drones)
- Sept. 17: Raynard Kington: President's Convocation
- Sept. 24: Tara Zahra (Emigration from Eastern Europe)
- Oct. 1: Fred Hersch '77 (Alum/Public Events Performer)
- Oct. 15: Mark Jordan (Theology, Church History, and Sexuality)
- Nov. 12: Michael Latham: Dean's Convocation
- Feb. 4: Robert J. Sampson (Rosenfield Chicago Symposium)
- April 1: Project Implicit Speaker
- April 8: Alison Bechdel (LGBT Literature/Art)
- April 22: Erica Lehrer '92 (Post-Conflict Memory, Ethnography)
- April 29: Phie Beta Kappa Convocation