Approximately one-third of FAFSAs filed each year are selected for Federal Verification. Verification is the process in which the U.S. Department of Education requires colleges to confirm that the data reported on your FAFSA is accurate. In addition, the U.S. Department of Education gives colleges the authority to select a student’s FAFSA for verification if the college has reason to believe the reported information may not be accurate.

If you qualify for federal student aid and your FAFSA is selected for verification, this process must be completed before your aid can be finalized.

How do I know if my FAFSA is selected for verification?

  1. View your Student Aid Report after your FAFSA has been processed.
  2. Review emails from the Grinnell College Office of Financial Aid (finaid[at]grinnell[dot]edu).
  3. Check the Required Documents tab in the Online Financial Aid Office.

How do I submit confidential documents securely?

You may use our secure document upload, regular mail, or fax (641-269-4937) to submit documents.

What additional information is required?

Complete these steps.

STEP 1:  Complete the Verification Worksheet. Provide signatures, and enter "0" or "N/A" if not applicable.

2017-18 Verification Worksheet

STEP 2:  Provide verification of income.


Provide the Office of Financial Aid with a signed copy of your 2015 Federal Tax Return, or request a Tax Return Transcript from the IRS and submit it to the Office of Financial Aid. You can request your tax transcript through the IRS’s Get Transcript service or by calling 1-800-908-9946.


  1. Submit copies of W-2 forms and 1099 forms.
  2. Submit the non-tax-filer statement.

STEP 3:  Review the Required Documents tab in the Online Financial Aid Office for any additional items that may be needed.

Why did the school correct my FAFSA?

Corrections to the FAFSA, made by the school, are not uncommon. We recommend that upon notification that your FAFSA has been corrected, you view the Student Aid Report to see what items have been corrected to aid you in completing the FAFSA in future years. If you have any questions regarding the correction, please call us. Do not change it back to the previous information.


What if I have questions?

Please call us if you have any questions. You may also call the Federal Student Aid Information Center at 1-800-4-FEDAID if you have FAFSA questions.