Every student on the GIW program participates in an internship that lasts at least 12 weeks. The internship is Monday- Thursday, approximately 32 hours a week, but much of the learning from the internship takes place through the activities of an internship seminar that all students take once a week. Students look for an internship using WUSTL in D.C.'s Program Director and Grinnell College's Career Development Office as resources. Science students in particular might also find their faculty to be helpful sources of recommendations, based on a student's interests. See the GIW Student Handbook for a more detailed description.
See "GIW Events" for some different upcoming events that will help prepare you for the internship search.
The possibilities for internships are endless! A selection of the internships that previous GIW students have had are listed below.
- Children's Defense Fund
- Democratic National Committee
- Economic Strategy Institute
- Housing and Urban Development (HUD)
- National Association of Child Advocates
- National Wildlife Federation
- Public Defender's Office
- Rails to Trails Conservancy
- USB (United Bank of Switzerland) PaineWebber
- World Resources Institute
For a complete list of all internships done in DC by Grinnell College students, please search the database hosted by using the Center for Careers, Life, and Service:
1) Log onto Pweb
2) Select the Community Tab on the upper bar
3) Select the Pioneer Internship Database bar, located on the left hand side
4) Enter in key words to narrow your search
In April students can begin to explore additional ideas for placements with the London-based agency we work with. Placements may not happen until the summer or early fall, given the timelines in which many London organizations function.