Using the Grinnell College libraries While You Are Off Campus

If you  would like to make an appointment with a librarian in advance of your study abroad, please contact us via query[at]grinnell[dot]edu to set up an appointment, or contact a librarian directly


Using Databases to Find Articles

Go to the Libraries Subject Guides and choose the subject (or department) of your choice:


drop down subject guide


Or choose the A to Z Database list

Find the database you would like to search and click on “off-campus access.” You will then be prompted to add your username and network password.


visual image of a link to the agricola database


login screen image


Connecting to the Articles

By making use of the  “search for full text” links in the databases, you can find the full text of articles available through library databases and electronic journal subscriptions.

Full text available through database:


Full Text


Using the "search for full text link":


search for full text link


Linking directly to the full text:


linking directly


No Electronic Access?

IN PRINT ONLY: If the article is only available in our print holdings. Contact a librarian (see below) and we will arrange to have it scanned and sent to you.


print holdings

INTERLIBRARY LOAN: If an article isn’t available electronically or in print—make an interlibrary loan request.


No access?


Click on the Interlibrary Loan Link


Request ILL


Need Help?


External Links

Planning ahead is the key to a successful foreign experience. The sites listed below will help get you started and provide vital information for traveling abroad.

CIA World Fact Book is produced annually by the Central Intelligence Agency for the use of US Government officials, and the style, format, coverage, and content are designed to meet their specific requirements. The World Fact Book contains rather specific information about the countries of the world. 

U.S. State Department "Background Notes" on countries throughout the world provide detailed information to supplement the Consular Information Sheets available on the State Department Travel Advisories page. Travelers are strongly encouraged to find out about health conditions in the country to which they will be traveling.

The BBC World Service is an excellent source of reports on current events, from a perspective different than that of many U.S. news media. provides an extensive set of streaming radio stations from different parts of the world, a valuable resource for language practice and exploring different cultures.

The Center for Global Education Study Abroad Student Handbook - How to Get There and Back. The Study Abroad Student Handbook provides resources and preparation tips for students considering study abroad.

Transitions Abroad is an online guide to practical information on affordable alternatives to mass tourism: living, working, studying, or vacationing alongside the people of the host country.

Important U.S. State Department publications providing vital information about everything from applying for a passport to tips on personal safety: Tips for Traveling Abroad and How To Have a Safe Trip.

Official State Department passport site: Applying For or Renewing a PassportForeign consular offices in the United States contains a complete and official listing of consulates and recognized consular officers.

Interactive Currency Table provides a list of currency values relative to the base currency that you specify.

One very good site for learning about the area to which you will be traveling is the State Department Travel Advisories page. These bulletins include basic information on travel, crime, medical facilities, embassy and consulate locations and so forth.

The Office of American Services and Crisis Management (ACS) exists to serve Americans traveling abroad. ACS administers the Consular Information Program, which informs the public of conditions abroad that may affect their safety and security. ACS supports the work of overseas embassies and consulates in providing emergency services to Americans in cases of arrest, death, crime, victimization, repatriation, medical evacuation, temporary financial assistance and welfare-and-whereabouts cases. ACS assists in non-emergency matters of birth, identity, passport, citizenship, registration, judicial assistance, and estates. ACS can facilitate the transfer of funds overseas to assist citizens in need, repatriate the remains of loved ones who have died overseas, assist with medical bills, assist victims of crime, and help citizens detained in foreign prisons. ACS also administers a repatriation loan program to bring home destitute Americans and provides a 24-hour Duty Officer Program and Crisis Response Teams which work on task forces convened to deal with natural or man-made disasters.

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control in Atlanta, GA hosts a CDC Traveler's Health Web Site with vaccination suggestions, health advisories, and much more. This is a must visit for all students going abroad.

Medical Information for Americans Traveling Abroad: The U.S. Department of State, Bureau of Consular Affairs provides a wide range of health information for travelers, including contact information for travel insurance companies. While many study abroad sponsors will take care of most of your travel arrangements, some programs leave transportation to your country of choice up to you.

The following sites will help you learn more about where you're going and how to get there quickly and cheaply: STA Travel --Information on International Student ID Cards, Eurail passes, discount airfares, etc. Travel Guides are also a wonderful way to see where you'll be studying and get a head start on planning your off time. Here are links to some of the more popular guides. Rough GuideLonely PlanetThe International Booking Network offers a simple, advanced and secure booking service for Youth Hostels worldwide. You can plan your travels with guaranteed accommodation in safe, clean and comfortable hostels.