WINTER BREAK STUDENT HOUSING
College-owned housing is closed during winter break. Students must vacate College-owned residence halls and houses according to the date and time scheduled by the College, unless sponsored for Winter Break Student Status (WBSS). WBSS means students have received approval to remain on campus after closing and/or return prior to opening of College-owned residence halls and houses during Winter Break due to one or more of the following reasons: participation in winter athletics or other College sponsored activities/events; International or U.S. Global Nomad Student; working for College Services* a minimum of 20 hours per week; or approved by the Division of student Affairs. No other students will be allowed in College-owned housing during Winter Break. *College services are those services necessary for the day to day operation of the College during Winter Break. These services include but are not limited to Campus Security, Mail Services, Catering, Library, and Admission. WBSS is a privilege, not a right. Only sponsored/approved students will be allowed in College-owned residence halls and houses during Winter Break. Students who have received WBSS automatically agree to accept and comply with College rules and regulations. Students are expected to act responsibly so their ability to stay in College-owned housing during Winter Break is not jeopardized. In the rare case a student violates the Winter Break Policy or does not act responsibly during this time, the student may be required to leave campus until the semester begins. Fines may also be issued, and/or judicial charges may be pursued. Departments whose sponsored students violate this policy may lose the privilege of sponsoring early arrival students. Winter Break is substance-free. All students with WBSS implicitly agree not to use or distribute alcohol or drugs on campus during this time, regardless of age. STUDENTS GRANTED WBSS AGREE TO:
- Abide by the Winter Break Substance-Free Policy.
- Keep public spaces clean and orderly throughout the break period.
- Not allow unauthorized students into College housing.
- Keep outside doors to all College-owned residence halls and houses closed and locked (not propped open).
RLC / EMERGENCY CONTACT:If you have an emergency or need assistance, please call ext. 4600 (or 641-269-4600 if calling from off-campus) to reach Campus Security / the RLC on call.
- One RLC is on-call while the College is operation during break.
- Campus Security will provide on-call assistance the week College offices are closed.
MEAL PREPARATION: Students with WBSS may cook in the residence hall / College-owned house kitchens. Students who use hall/house kitchens agree to clean the kitchen immediately. Any items left out and/or dirty will be disposed of daily. All appliances must be turned off and unplugged after each use. SERVICES: Shuttles, dining services, and health services are NOT available during Winter Break. GUESTS: Students with WBSS may have guests visit them in the residence halls under the following conditions:
- Guests cannot be currently enrolled Grinnell College students.
- The number of guests is limited to two guests on campus at one time.
- Students must register their guest(s) at the Security Office upon arrival to campus and check them out when permanently leaving campus.
- Students are responsible for the behavior of their guests.
Grinnell College students approved to remain on campus during all or part of Winter Break understand staying on campus during Winter Break is a privilege, not a right. Students who do not abide by the Winter Break Policy outlined above, may (at a minimum) be required to leave campus until the semester begins. Revision Date: 11-16-10