Thank you for your interest in Student Staff 2016-2017!
Here you will find information and application materials for the community adviser (CA) position.
Community Adviser Position Summary
The community adviser position is a live-in position within the Grinnell College residence halls. Community advisers are a part of the Division of Student Affairs team.
Under the direct supervision of Residence Life and Orientation staff, the community adviser:
- establishes a cohesive self-governing community in their designated area;
- facilitates the holistic development of residents through programming;
- refers and supports residents as they deal with academic and personal issues;
- enforces and abides by the policies of Grinnell College as well as Iowa state and federal laws in the College residence halls;
- participates in and facilitates a team approach with coworkers; and
- completes necessary administrative tasks.
Community Adviser On-Call Rotation
Starting in fall 2016, each CA will take part in a weekend on-call rotation. This change will allow CAs to support students in low-level community issues when needed.
CAs will also be conducting community walkthroughs intended to be social, harm reductive, and help identify facilities issues.
Community Adviser Selection Information and Checklist
- CA Applicants Meet and Greet
- December 9, 7 p.m. in the Wellness Lounge (2nd floor JRC)
- Come get to know the Residence Life Coordinators (RLCs) as well as other interested CA applicants. This is your biggest opportunity to ask questions prior to winter break and find out if the CA job is for you!
- CA Application Completion Event
- January 26 Time and location TBD
- Stumped on one of the application questions? Want to know what all those focus areas are really about before you pick your favorite? Join the RLCs for application help and more opportunities to ask questions.
Please provide descriptive information about yourself and your thoughts in response to a few short answer questions.
Application deadline: February 1, 9 a.m.
Please provide one reference from an individual who can talk about your ability to relate to others and manage responsibility. Additional references, though welcome, are not necessary.
Although your friends may know you well, for a stronger application, we advise that references come from faculty or work supervisors.
Please note that since RLCs will be involved in the hiring process, they are unable to serve as references for student staff. Remember as well to thank your reference for taking the time to speak on your behalf!
Deadline to submit reference form: February 1, 9 a.m.
CAs often work as a team and the Group Process is an opportunity to demonstrate your ability to work collaboratively.
At this session you will be asked to rotate in small groups through several activities that challenge you to think creatively and work together. This program is for introverts and extroverts alike, as the most successful is not always the most vocal (though we do want to hear what you have to say!). In addition to being informative, many applicants report that this program is also a lot of fun.
You will be assigned to participate in one session on the evening of either Monday, February 8, or Tuesday, February 9, depending on your availability as indicated on the application.
Each candidate will also have one individual interview with an RLC and current members of student staff.
Interviews last roughly 30 minutes, and provide an opportunity for you to share your interest in the position on a more personal level. It is likely that topics such as your ideas for building community on your floor and thoughts on self-governance may arise in the discussion. Interviews will be scheduled on an individual basis.
Take note of the following important dates:
- Monday, February 1
- Student Staff Application Due (9 a.m., submit online)
- Monday, February 8, OR Tuesday, February 9
- Group Process A or B (7 p.m., ARH)
- Candidates are only asked to participate in one group process session
- February 10-16
- Individual Interviews (Interviews last 30 minutes and will be in JRC 310 or RLC offices)
- Friday, March 18
- Student Staff Contract Acceptance Deadline (5 p.m., submit online)
- Sunday, April 24
- General Campus Room Draw (Staffed by new community advisers, Harris Center)
Future Training Dates (All training dates are mandatory)
- Fall Student Staff Training:
- Arrival ten days prior to New Student Orientation
- Spring Student Staff Training
- Arrival one week prior to the start of spring semester classes
All the application materials can be found at the following links (remember the deadline to submit both completed parts is Monday, February 1, at 9 a.m.):
Once your application and reference forms have been reviewed, you will receive scheduling information regarding the group process and individual interview.
Any additional questions? Don't hesitate to ask! Email Ashley Phipps