Burling Library is located between Bucksbaum Center for the Arts and the railroad tracks, and accessed from 6th Avenue. On-street visitor parking is available on High Street south of 6th and in a lot east of campus. Accessible parking is available in the cul-de-sac behind Bucksbaum, and in the lots to the east of the library. See Maps and Directions for more information.
Burling Library, designed by Walter A. Netsch, Jr., of Skidmore, Owings & Merrill, was built in 1959. Named for Mrs. Lucy Burnham Burling of Eldora, Iowa, the new building replaced Carnegie Hall as the college's main library. The renovation and expansion of Burling Library to 60, 739 square feet took place in 1982-1983 under the direction of Ben Weese, of Weese Seegers Hickey Weese, Ltd. of Chicago, whose design doubled the study and shelf space available in the original building. Dennis Langley was the project manager for Weese Seegers Hickey Weese, and Donald O. Rod served as the librarian-consultant. Burling Library is nationally recognized for its creative and comfortable study areas. There are attractive reading areas on the first and second floors, as well as study carrels throughout the building.