Cowles Hall has traditional residence hall style housing and a lounge west of the main entrance, with apartment-style housing to the east. Cowles has:
- 7 apartments,
- a 2-person student adviser apartment,
- one 4-person apartment,
- one 5-person apartment and
- four 6-person apartments.
Each apartment has a bathroom, a kitchen and pantry, and a lounge with a tv.
All Cowles Apartment and first floor rooms are equipped with wooden bed frames and all beds can be lofted. Students who live in the apartments or on first floor interested in lofting their beds must rent lofts through Bedloft.com.
|7109 (SA Apartment)||2||0|
|7111 & 7113||0||3|
|7112 & 7114||2||2|
Cowles Hall has two lounges, one on the first floor and one on the second floor. The first floor lounge has a TV and DVD player.
The Cowles kitchen is located on the second floor. It is equipped with a stove, an oven, a fridge and a microwave.
Cowles Hall uses the trunk room located in Clark Hall (or within the Clangrala cluster) for storage.
Laundry facilities are located in the dorm next to Cowles, Norris.
A computer lab and printer is located in Norris and is used by residents of Cowles.
A recycling facility is located on the first floor of Cowles.
Cowles Hall is located on North Campus near the Physical Education Complex and Harris Center. It was made possible by a gift from the Cowles Foundation in 1941.
President Samuel Stevens anticipated the need for better facilities during World War II and quickly built Cowles Hall and Darby Gym in 1942 to accommodate the Officers' Candidate School. It was not available for civilian use until 1945.
With the completion of the Joe Rosenfield '25 Center and its new dining facilities, Cowles and Quad dining halls were no longer needed. Cowles dining was retrofitted to provide additional housing. The Des Moines architectural firm Herbert Lewis Kruse & Blunk designed the retrofit, and completion of the project was done by Neumann Design Build.