Gates Hall has 17 singles, 7 doubles, and 3 triples. It houses 41 students.
Gates Hall has two lounges. A study lounge is located in the pit, and a larger lounge with a television is located on the first floor.
Gates Hall has one kitchen which is located on the first floor. It has a stove, an oven, a microwave and a fridge.
A trunk room is located in Gates Pit, and can be used for storing articles.
Gates Hall has access to the laundry facilities in Younker and Dibble.
Residents of Gates have easy access to the computer labs in the North Campus dorms Norris and Younker.
A recycling facility is located on the first floor of Gates.
Gates Hall bears the name of Grinnell's second president, George Augustus Gates, who led the College from 1887 through 1900.
Gates Hall is connected to the other five original North Campus halls by an open cloister or loggia, with a long line of 38 arches spanning the east side of the buildings from Dibble to Smith. The central archway of the Gates-Rawson tower is positioned between Gates Hall on the north and Rawson Hall on the south.
The spaces above the arches on both the east and west elevations are similar in decoration, having intricate oriel windows, escutcheons, and other Gothic elements. The towers are crenelated, again reflecting a Gothic motif.