James Hall features four student lounges and one kitchen. The rooms are assigned as singles and doubles.
Mary B. James, for whom James Hall was named, was a respected and revered schoolteacher in the Grinnell community. James Hall, part of the Quadrangle on South Campus, was built in 1915, and was originally home to the female students. Like all Grinnell residence halls, James Hall is now co-ed, and students have named an annual cross-dressing ball in honor of "Mary B. James."