Named in honor of long-time friend and former trustee of Grinnell College, the 28,000 square foot John Chrystal Center was constructed largely with materials from Iowa.
Materials used on the Chrystal Center included the following:
- 265 tons of Iowa limestone, quarried near Anamosa
- 56,000 board feet of cedar
- 6,000 square feet of glass
- 24,000 line feet of conduit for computers, etc.
- 91,000 line feet of electrical wire
- 43,000 life feet of voice and data cable
- 5,660 line feet of plumbing pipe
- 14,000 tons of dirt were excavated and hauled away
An atrium within the Chrystal Center is named Fell Atrium in honor of Robert Fell '25, who served as the general class agent during the development of the College's earliest volunteer programs, and as Alumni Association director.