Between 1964 and 2000, Ricker House was the residence of Robert and Betty Gough '67 Voertman, both of whom were members of the Grinnell College faculty, he in Economics, she in Theatre and Dance. The College acquired the house in 2000. Ricker House was designed by the renowned Prairie School architects and designers Walter Burley Griffin and Marion Mahoney of Chicago for Benjamin Jewett Ricker, class of 1891. He was one of the proprietors of the Morrison-Ricker Glove Company, whose former factory building is also now owned by the College.
The Benjamin J. and Mabel T. Ricker House was designed by Walter Burley Griffin and Marion Mahony Griffin in 1911 and completed in 1912. It was the first of seven houses the Griffins designed for Iowa clients, six of which were built and the other five of which are in Mason City. Ricker House was purchased by Grinnell College in 2000 and is operated as a short-term residence for guests of the College.