This two-story structure was originally called the Christian Association Building. The architect had planned a passageway or cloister to connect the building with Herrick Chapel, which is located just to the north of Steiner. But this feature, as well as two towers planned for the front of the chapel, were eliminated as too costly. Designed by William H. Brainerd, Steiner Hall conforms architecturally to Herrick Chapel. Eventually converted to faculty offices and classrooms, the building in 1959 was named for Edward A. Steiner (1866-1956), Rand Professor of Applied Christianity and one of the College's most eminent teachers. A mentor of Harry L. Hopkins '12 and other Grinnellians who served in the New Deal administrations of Franklin D. Roosevelt, Steiner was connected with the Social Gospel movement, which had one of its strongest bases at Grinnell College. A handsome addition in conforming style was constructed onto the east elevation of Steiner Hall in 1990 (Wells, Woodburn, and O'Neil of Des Moines, architects), and the building is now an attractive home for the religious studies, philosophy, and education departments.