Source: Courtesy of Grinnell College

Windsor House

Building Details

1026 Park Street
Grinnell, IA 50112
United States
Offices / Resources: 
Liberal Arts in Prison
Building is Substance-Free: 
no
Building is Gender Neutral: 
no
Residence Life Coordinator: 
Building History: 

Windsor House is the site of Grinnell's first industry, a tanning enterprise started by Frederic W. Morrison shortly after he settled in Grinnell in 1855. Windsor House honors the first two graduates of the College--John and William Windsor of Maquoketa, Iowa, who received their B.A. degrees in 1854 in Davenport and went on to distinguished ministerial careers. William's son, Henry Haven Windsor of the Class of 1884, was the founder of Popular Mechanics magazine. Family members provided the funds for the Windsor Science Library located in the Noyce Science Center, and they also supported the refurbishing of the house as a guest facility. Built in the early 1900s, the house has been described as a "suburban gabled cottage" of vernacular origins.