Name: Bucksbaum Center for the Arts
Address: 1108 Park St.
Purpose: Houses the College’s fine arts programs: art, music, and theatre and dance, as well as galleries and theatres
Year built: 1961; renovated in 1999
Sebring-Lewis Hall: The 338-seat concert hall hosts most music department performances and numerous guest artist events. The American String Quartet described it as “one of the two or three best halls in the country for chamber music.”
Faulconer Gallery: The gallery presents exhibitions of regional, national, and international art throughout the year in a 7,400-square-foot state-of-the-art museum space. Talks, classes, and lunchtime yoga also populate the gallery.
Roberts Theatre: The 424-seat, Greek-style auditorium with a semithrust stage is used for plays, concerts, dance recitals, lectures, and forums.
Flanagan Theatre: The arena theatre is named for Hallie Ferguson Flanagan (1889–1969). A 1911 graduate of Grinnell, Flanagan held teaching appointments in drama at Grinnell, Vassar, and Smith colleges. In 1935 she was appointed director of the Federal Theatre Project by her fellow Grinnellian, Harry Hopkins 1912, who at the time was director of the Works Progress Administration.
- Theatre and Dance
- Faulconer Gallery
- Scene Shop