Alumni Recitation Hall
Name: Alumni Recitation Hall
Address: 1226 Park St.
Purpose: Houses the departments of modern languages, the classics department, and various academic resources.
History: Dedicated on Nov. 24, 1916, the three-story Tudor-style building with Gothic features was part of a campus-wide modernization effort prompted by rising enrollment. Designed by H.D. Rawson of Proudfoot, Bird, and Rawson of Des Moines, Iowa, ARH became the College's general classroom building. It was originally planned as an L-shaped structure, one section fronting on Park Street and the other on Eighth Avenue, but lack of funding prevented completion of the second section.
- 158-seat screening auditorium
- multipurpose Meredith AudioVisual Center
- instructional computing lab
Offices / Resources
- Meredith Audio-Visual Center
- Alternative Language Study Option (ALSO)
- Writing Lab
- Office of Curricular Technology
The ARH is a popular location for the student tradition of mattress surfing, often on the bucket list of many seniors, due to its wider-than-normal stairways.