Name: Carnegie Hall
Address: 1210 Park St.
Purpose: Academic building
Year Built: 1905
Named for: Andrew Carnegie, the noted philanthropist and benefactor who donated the money to build it
Built as a library, Carnegie originally had two large reading rooms on the ground floor and an imposing staircase for access to an upper-floor reading room, with stacks at the rear of the building. The area was converted to classrooms and offices after the new library was built in 1959. Carnegie now houses the American studies, economics, sociology, political science, and Chinese and Japanese departments. The College Bookstore is also attached to the back of the building.
A frieze on the walls bears the names of some of the greats of Western civilization: Shakespeare, Dante, Homer, Plato, Michelangelo, Darwin, Goethe, Galileo, Emerson, and Caesar.