Name: Goodnow Hall
Address: 1118 Park St.
Purpose: Academic building
Year Built: 1885
Named for: Edward A. Goodnow, a manufacturer and philanthropist from Worcester, Mass.
The building served as the College’s library as well as its astronomical observatory when it was first built. The observatory was installed in the massive tower on the west front. With the opening of Carnegie Hall as the college library in 1905, Goodnow was turned into a classroom and faculty office facility. It now houses the anthropology and global development studies departments.
Goodnow was one of four structures built soon after the cyclone of 1882. It is the oldest existing building on campus and is on the National Register of Historic Places.