Name: Mears Cottage
Address: 1213 Sixth Ave.
Purpose: Academic building
Year Built: 1888
Named for: Mary Grinnell Mears, daughter of founder J.B. Grinnell and wife of David O. Mears, a minister
The structure in its original form was designed to provide “28 women with a quiet ambience for study and genteel social interaction.” The building was enlarged in 1904 to accommodate 100 students and remained a women’s residence until 1978, when it became coeducational. Today the building provides office space for faculty in the English and history departments, smaller classrooms for discussion, and a lounge. The building houses the English, history, and gender, women’s and sexuality studies departments.
The three-story Victorian that served as a home for women was one of the first women’s residence at any college west of the Mississippi River.