Abe H. Rosenbloom Field
Name: Abe H. Rosenbloom Field
Nickname: Rosenbloom Field
Address: 10th Avenue west of Bear Center
Purpose: Athletic facility
Named for: Abe H. Rosenbloom ’34, who played football at Grinnell from 1931 to 1933. He played guard and was one of the Missouri Valley Conference’s smallest gridders (5 feet 6 inches and 170 pounds). He averaged more than 45 minutes a game of playing time during a 24-game varsity career and was named to the Des Moines Register’s all-Missouri Valley Conference squad in 1932 and 1933.
Situated among mature trees with a sloped bowl built up around the field, spectators enjoy a great perspective of the game no matter where they sit. Rosenbloom Field has a seating capacity of 1,500. A large press box overlooks permanent bleacher seating on the west side. On the field’s south side, a memorial recalls the 100th anniversary of the first intercollegiate football game played west of the Mississippi, played on the Grinnell campus Nov. 16, 1889. On the north side, a marker commemorates the first 50 years of football in the West and recalls the same 1889 game, Grinnell College versus University of Iowa. Grinnell won, 24-0.
The Pioneers observed the occasion of the field’s dedication to Abe Rosenbloom on Oct. 4, 1975, by defeating Carleton College, 36-26.