Name: John and William Windsor 1854 House
Address: 1026 Park St.
Purpose: Administrative building
Windsor House is occupied by the Office of Communications. This office supports the communication and publication needs of faculty, staff, alumni, and students. It produces The Grinnell Magazine, media relations, publications, and the College website.
History: Windsor House honors the first two graduates of the College — John and William Windsor of Maquoketa, Iowa, who received their B.A. degrees in 1854 (when the College was Iowa College in in Davenport) and went on to distinguished ministerial careers. William’s son, Henry Haven Windsor of the class of 1884, was the founder of Popular Mechanics magazine.
Windsor House is on the site of Grinnell’s first industry, a hide-tanning business started by Frederic W. Morrison shortly after he settled in Grinnell in 1855.