A few resources are available here as map images that can be copied from this site and used freely for research projects, publications, presentations, and posters. To create and tailor maps for specific research projects, contact the CERA Manager.
The following CERA maps are available as images (.jpeg).
- Vegetation Types According to Soil Survey (Vegetation.jpg, 66 KB)
- Permanent and Intermittent Streams on 1994 Aerial Photo (Creeks.jpg, 116 KB)
- Roads and Hiking Trails on 1994 Aerial Photo (CERATrailMapColor.pdf, 110 KB)
- Topography on 1994 Aerial Photo (Topography.jpg, 164 KB)
- Management Units (MgmtUnits.jpg, 88 KB)
- Soil Types (SoilTypes.jpg, 51 KB)
- Experimental Prairie Plots (EPPs.jpg, 80 KB)
- Fall Burn Experimental Forest Plots (Forest Fall Fire (pdf), 58 KB)
ArcExplorer™, designed by Environmental Systems Research Institute, Inc. (ESRI), provides a way of displaying and querying geographic data available on the World Wide Web. The following steps are required to explore and interact with CERA maps (Instructions.pdf):
- Download ArcExplorer. In order to view and query CERA maps without having ArcGIS or ArcView applications, you will need to install ArcExplorer.
Download ArcExplorer 2 (http://www.esri.com/arcexplorer)
- View ArcExplorer User Manual. After you have successfully completed the installation of ArcExplorer, navigate in your programs list to ESRI and ArcExplorer 2.0. Listed with the Arc Explorer program you will find the user manual as an Adobe Acrobat file called "Using ArcExplorer".
- Download CERA map. To view a CERA map in ArcExplorer you need to first click on the zipped file below to download the map files to your computer.
ExploreCERA.zip (file size: 14 MB)
- Unzip CERA map files. Once the download is complete, the CERA ArcExplorer files must be extracted or unzipped from the zipped file before you can use them. Unzip (http://www.info-zip.org/pub/infozip/)(Unix, Macintosh, OS/2, and MS-DOS) and Winzip (http://www.winzip.com/)(Windows 95, 98, and NT) are extraction softwares that can be downloaded for free and used to unzip the compressed files.
- View CERA map in ArcExplorer. Open ArcExplorer. Under "File", select "Open Project" and navigate to the CERA ArcExplorer project file with extension ".aep".