- McDonald, Tami. 1994. Genetic diversity within and between populations of Indiangrass (Sorghastrum nutans) in Iowa tallgrass prairie remnants.
Advanced Population Biology, Stephen Trumbo. [Cellulose acetate
electrophoresis for allozymes of 3 enzymes (PGI, PGM, and ME) of S.
nutans populations from CERA, Reichelt, Turner Station, and the Skunk
River Prairie Remnant (20 individuals at each location); determined
allele/genotype frequencies, inbreeding coefficients, genetic identity,
and genetic diversity (expected heterozygosity); populations
significantly inbred and significantly less heterozygous than expected;
populations were also genetically similar, and nearly identical at the
- Jackson, Andrea. 1994. Genetic diversity of Aster laevis at the Conard Environmental Research Area.
Stephen Trumbo. [Cellulose acetate electrophoresis for allozymes of 3
enzymes (PGI and PGM) of 49 individuals from 8 subpopulations of A.
laevis at CERA; determined observed and expected heterozygosity, number
of alleles, proportion of polymorphic alleles, inbreeding coefficient,
and genetic structure; observed and expected heterozygosity mostly
nonsignificant; for population as a whole, variation, proportion of
polymorphic loci, and number of alleles per loci are high;
heterozygosity lower than expected; most subpopulations not inbred]
- Bjork, Rebecca. An analysis of wind damage in the CERA woodlot.
Independent Project, Karl DeLong. [recording damage of tree population
at CERA; Red Oak and Bur Oak showed highest susceptibility to damage,
White Oak, Hackberry more resilient to wind damage; includes relative
densities of species in 3 areas, data on relative damage as proportion
of total, and diagram of possible windflow]
- Werntz, James. 1982. Floodplain tree growth and species distribution at the N.E. corner of CERA.
Biology, Benjamin Graham. [measuring, collection, soil sampling
methods; height, diameter measured for every tree species in 400 square
meter quadrats, moisture content determined in soil at each tree; soil
moisture content ranged along gradient between quadrats, diversity and
size of trees decreases along gradient; includes map of sampling area,
species-collected and habitat characterization list, raw data from each
quadrat, average density of species tables, soil analysis, and
photographs of dominant species in each quadrat]
- deGroh, Teresa. 1982. Airborne pollen study at CERA.
Biology, Benjamin Graham. [airborne pollen sampling methods, counting
of pollen grains on microscope slides, identification of pollen;
includes raw data on pollen counted per genus at each site, photographs
of each site]
- Vognar, Linda. 1971. Characterization of weed genera by soil type at the Conard Field Station.
Independent Project, Benjamin Graham. [soil sampling, plant growing,
identification methods; includes growth rate tables of genera
classified, population graphs, soil types, growth rates in soil types]
- Reihman, Mary Ann. 1969. A taxonomic study of the Conard Environmental Research Area in summer 1969.
Benjamin Graham. [plant collection and identification methods; includes
a list of all plants collected during the summer, major classes
families arranged alphabetically]
- Daugherty, Jerome. 1969. A study of weed population on the Henry S. Conard Environmental Research Area.
Ecology, Independent Project, Benjamin Graham [soil sampling, plant
growing methods; classification/identification, variety and density of
weeds in currently cultivated corn and bean fields, fallow fields, and
established pastures; includes raw data of weed species and their
location, frequency and density of species in their locations, variety
of species, and a map detailing sampling locations]
- Wall, Richard. 1968. Fall flora of the Environmental Research Area.
Independent Project, Benjamin Graham. [collection and identification
methods; approx. 25 species identified; includes list of species and
their general location in CERA]
Conard Environmental Research Area
Student Research on Vascular Plants
- Conard Environmental Research Area
- Visit or Volunteer
- 40th Anniversary
- About CERA
- Center for Prairie Studies
- Data Catalog
- Environmental Datasets
- Student Employment
- Student Project Form
- Tillers Journal