The requirements to be accepted to the Teacher Education Program are as follows:
- Reading and writing proficiency demonstrated by a score of 290 or better on the English section of the College BASE (Basic Academic Subject Examination) and satisfactory completion (grade of C or better) of the first year tutorial or a designated writing course.
- Mathematics proficiency demonstrated by a score of 290 or better on the College BASE.
- Basic computer literacy demonstrated by completion of the tutorial.
- Ability to handle college level work. Maintaining appropriate academic standards (not being on academic probation) and the faculty recommendation will demonstrate this ability.
- Good citizenship in the college community. Maintaining appropriate personal standards (not being on probation for problems with personal conduct or academic dishonesty) and the faculty recommendation will demonstrate this ability.
- Interest in and potential to work with young people. The personal statement and the faculty recommendation will demonstrate this.
- Ability to complete required coursework demonstrated by your four-year plan of study.
To apply to the Teacher Education Program at Grinnell College, you should complete the application and turn it in with your four-year plan to Steiner 209. The forms in the application request information to indicate how you meet each of the seven requirements. You will find:
- a) a personal information sheet
- b) a form on which to make a personal statement
- c) a form on which to indicate how you meet basic skills requirements
- d) a recommendation form that you should give to your EDU-101 instructor or to your tutorial adviser if you have not yet had EDU-101 (the faculty member should return the form directly to Steiner 209); or can be emailed to EDUprogram@grinnell.edu; and
- e) a form to record the semester in which you will take each of the required courses (you may ask the academic support person to make a copy for your own records). Please remember to include a copy of your four-year plan.
Applications to the Teacher Education Program should be submitted by the 3rd Friday in February.