The Lorabel Richardson/Academy of American Poets Prize is awarded for the best single poem to Grinnell poets in memory of Lorabel Richardson (Class of 1919). Ms. Richardson, who as a student won the Steiner Prize for Short Fiction in 1917, worked her whole professional life as an English teacher in the public schools in Marshalltown, Iowa. The prize, which is administered through the Academy of American Poets, was established in 1993 through a fund established by Louise Haug of Ames, Iowa. The Academy's nationwide program makes awards of $100 for the best undergraduate poetry produced each year.
Deadline: Wednesday, April 3, 2013, 4:00 p.m.
Rules and Guidelines:
1. Entrants must be currently enrolled Grinnell College students in good standing.
2. A poems are eligible for a prize if it they have appeared in the Grinnell Review during the academic year of the prize--in other words, if they have appeared in the Fall semester's Grinnell Review.They cannot have appeared in a previous year's Grinnell Review, even if they have been significantly revised, nor have won a monetary prize or been a finalist at Grinnell College. Only students who are taking at least twelve credits on campus or in a Grinnell-approved study abroad program are eligible to submit their work.
3. Entrants' names should NOT appear on the pages of submitted work. Instead, an attached cover sheet should include the entrants' name, mailbox number, and story title. Cover sheets will be removed for judging so that the entries may be judged anonymously.
4. You may submit up to three poems.
5. Clip rather than staple entries.
6. Submit entries to Mears Cottage 103, Academic Support Office. Also submit an electronic copy to [email@example.com]. No late entries will be accepted.
7. A cash award of $100 is given for the Lorabel Richardson/ Academy of American Poets Contest.
8. Award winner will be announced at the Grinnell Review Reading, Thursday, May 9, 2013.
Direct any inquiries about the contest to Dean Bakopoulos, English Department, 215 Mears Cottage, or firstname.lastname@example.org.