Application for Support of Physics Internships
The Physics Department has funds to support a few internships that need not be carried out on campus. This is in addition to the funding that supports normal summer research with faculty members. An obvious use of these funds is to support a student who has identified an off-campus summer research opportunity that does not provide a stipend. In a given year some or all of the money may be restricted to supporting declared physics majors. It is the Department's understanding that because this funding comes entirely from the college, work supported in this way is like a campus job and there are no additional complications for international students.
Applications for support of summer work should be made to the department chair via e-mail no later than the same deadline date as standard on-campus summer research. The application should consist of a message that contains the following information:
- Your name, class year, major, e-mail address, campus PO box number, and campus phone number
- One or more possible internship positions for which the supervisors have agreed to participate
- Reasons for your interest in these positions - either individually or collectively
- Experience that makes you qualified for these positions
- Name of a Grinnell faculty member who has agreed to supervise the internship
- Whether you wish to get credit for the internship
- Two Grinnell College references and the context in which you know them
The Department will review the applications and notify applicants of the results before spring break.