Level one forms the basic language sequence and prepares students in the fundamentals of the reading, speaking, and listening skills. In all these courses, materials are selected from both Spain and Latin America as well as from literary and non-literary sources.
- 105 Introduction to the Spanish Language I
- 106 Introduction to the Spanish Language II
- 204 Communication in Spanish I
- 205 Communication in Spanish II
- 217 Intermediate Spanish
The second level is the bridge between the basic language sequence and the 300 level. SPN 285 develops the reading, discussion and writing skills while focusing on diverse texts from Spain and Latin American and including visual as well as written materials.
- 285 Introduction to Textual Analysis
The third level of the program consists of eight 300 level courses. These courses introduce students to advanced work in the Department and emphasize student discussion and analysis of the texts.
- 311 Constructing Identities in Independent Latin America
- 312 Women and Gender in Spanish Literature
- 314 Studies in Modern Spanish Literature
- 315 Creativity and Dissidence in Modern Latin America
- 316 Advanced Spanish Language
- 317 Readings in U.S. Latin@ Literature and Culture
- 320 Cultures of the Spanish-Speaking World
- 343 The Art of Language
The fourth level of the program consists of six courses. These courses build on the skills and knowledge acquired in the student's previous work at the third level.
- 377 Modernization and Innovation in Contemporary Latin America
- 379 U.S. Latin@ Identities and Sexualities
- 383 The Latin American Colonial World
- 384 Spanish Dialectology
- 385 Studies in the Spanish Vanguard
- 386 Studies in the Medieval and Early Modern Spanish Literature