Grinnell College Writing Lab
This I Believe Grinnell: A Community Writing Contest
In collaboration with the Grinnell Area Arts Council and the Grinnell College Office of Community Enhancement and Engagement, the Grinnell College Writing Lab is sponsoring an essay contest based on This I Believe, a radio and book series that invites people from all walks of life to write personal essays about their core beliefs. The contest is open to GC students and community members, with a $100 prize in each of these two categories.
Our essay contest seeks to engage the community through writing and to connect with each other by sharing our essays and stories. Our open-mic reading event, co-hosted by The Grinnell Review, a literary magazine on campus, aims to achieve these goals. This event is open to This I Believe essay writers but also student and community writers working in other genres. It should be a great event for anyone who appreciates good writing and/or anyone who wants to share their work with others.
April 5: Writing Party at Grinnell Arts Center
April 12: Contest Deadline (CONTEST CLOSED)
April 25: Open-mic reading at Faulkner Gallery at 7 pm.
For more information contact David Perez, Writing Lab lecturer, at email@example.com.
Writing Lab Information
The five professional tutors at the Grinnell College Writing Lab can help you with any of your writing and oral communication projects, from first year tutorial essays to Mentored Advanced Projects and everything in between.
- We are happy to assist you with academic papers in any discipline, oral presentations, personal statements for graduate school applications, and essays for internships or study abroad programs.
- We will work with you at any stage of the writing process, including brainstorming and outlining, evaluating evidence, and polishing your prose style.
- The Writing Lab offers classes in basic and advanced principles of writing, oral communication skills, and teaching writing (which includes training for our Writing Mentors program). Descriptions of these classes can be found under "Writing Lab Courses."
- Regular appointment times are available Monday through Friday from 8:45-11:45 AM and 1:00-4:00 PM. Sign up for an appointment (this link takes you to P-web; go to "Course Areas and Academic Information" where you'll find a link to Writing Lab appointments on the left of the page under the Resources tab).
- Walk-in hours are available Monday through Friday from 8:45-9:30 AM and 2:30-4:00 PM. Sign up for walk-in hours in person at 132 ARH at 8:30 AM or 2:05 PM on the day that you want an appointment.