In addition to these reflections, each student will each year write a cover letter (with a draft after each semester) reflecting on how she/he has grown as a writer during the semester/year and on the part played in that growth by the writing she/he has done for classes.
These cover letters should answer such questions as
- How much writing did you do this year? In what classes? How did writing contribute to your learning in those classes?
- What kind of feedback did you get on your writing? What feedback was helpful to you? What was unhelpful?
- What kind of writing do you do best? Are there kinds you try to avoid? Why?
- To what extent are you satisfied with your current writing skills? What steps do you plan to take to maintain or improve them?
- How do you feel your writing has changed this year?
By the end of the four years, after students have had a chance to add new papers each semester, they should select 4-6 papers, with reflections and cover letter, not to exceed 40 pages, and offer evidence that this selection demonstrates that they have met all the criteria over their career at Grinnell.