Write down everything you think of WITHOUT evaluating its merit. After you have generated ideas,work on figuring out your main idea. Even though you may feel pressure to begin writing take some time to go through this step.
Like outlining, but more fun! Make a tree, outline, cloud or whatever helps you to see a schematic representation of what you have. You may discover the need for more material in some places.
- Set a timer (5-15 minutes)
- Look at your topic and think about it briefly
- Now write!
- Don't stop!
- Don’t edit!
- Keep your fingers typing or your pen moving for your time limit.
- Summarize your whole idea.
- Summarize the main sub-ideas
- Summarize sub-sub-ideas
Connect the Dots
- Look at what you wrote
- Where do ideas intersect?
- Did you include counter arguments?
- Begin to arrange your ideas into a rough outline