In the Writing Lab, instructors assist students to become elegant, eloquent writers and public speakers and support faculty in their roles as teachers of writing and speaking across the curriculum.
- Offers a powerful tools not only for communicating existing ideas but for discovering new ones.
- Furthers conversation or dialogue.
- Writers rarely practice their craft in isolation; instead the impetus for writing often comes from the urge to respond to what others have said.
- Can be joyful, energizing, liberating, healing, satisfying--yes, really!
- Is a process that involves drafting and revising, perhaps several times, as well as a product, a final polished version free from grammatical and mechanical errors.
- Improves with feedback.
- Informs and persuades.Offers the opportunity for exchange of ideas "in real time."
- Increases understanding between audience and speaker.
- Can be mastered using practice and feedback.
- Applies across languages, cultures, careers.