Who Can Apply?
Any first-year and second-year student in good academic standing and interested in a career in education after graduation may apply to the program. Only 3rd years who were off-campus during fall semester (2013) may apply. All other non-first or second-year students can no longer apply to the program.
How Do I Apply?
To apply, please complete the APPLICATION found on OrgSync.
The application will ask you to provide the following items:
- One-page resume
- One-page cover letter explaining your interest in the program and your academic and professional experience, especially any education-related experience such as tutoring, service-learning hours, or mentoring
- Two short essay responses (250-500 words, single-space) to the following questions:
- Why are you interested in pursuing a career in education?
- If you had the power to make one significant change in the American educational system, what would it be and why?
Deadlines and Important Dates
- Applications are due Friday, April 11th.
- All applications will be reviewed during April 11th-16th.
- Interviews will begin Monday, April 21st and last through Friday, April 25th.
- Admission decisions will be sent out on Wednesday, April 30th.
Q: Do I have to be a member of the Teacher Licensure program to join the Careers in Education Professions program?
A: Not at all. You may be a member of one program or both and admission to one will have no bearing on your admission to the other.
Q: What if I don’t want to teach?
A: This program encourages students to pursue careers in education, which includes teaching, but also includes education policy and research, counseling, education technology, and library science. There are numerous opportunities to work in education outside of the classroom.
Q: Do I have to take education courses?
A: Yes. You will have to complete two courses offered by the Education Department before you graduate. We believe a foundational knowledge of educational systems and learning theory is important to any subsequent work in the field.
Q: I was abroad last semester and I am an upperclassman. Can I apply?
A: Yes, you can apply because you were off-campus last semester, but this semester will be your final opportunity to apply.