Founded in 2000 to coordinate and advance the different international initiatives on campus, the Center has become the key office for assisting students and faculty to develop their knowledge of the world. The Center provides leadership and support in the following areas:
- Bringing international scholars and artists to campus to enrich the Grinnell curriculum and participate in on-campus events.
- Creating opportunities for students and faculty to travel outside the United States to acquire, develop and share knowledge, such as the Faculty Development Seminar.
- Working with the Office of Off-Campus Study to develop new opportunities for students, maintain program quality, and identify sites for faculty development.
- Creating and maintaining partnerships with key international universities, such as Nanjing University in China.
- Working with interdisciplinary faculty groups to develop courses and course clusters that address international issues.
- Maintaining electronic resources, such as the Faculty Database, to disseminate knowledge about experiences and interests throughout campus.
- Providing leadership in establishing goals and assessing outcomes of international education at Grinnell.
- Collaborating with other campus offices and organizations that promote international education to create internationalism across the College.