Your gifts make our work possible.
The Liberal Arts in Prison Program is funded almost entirely by private donations and grants. Your gift provides liberal arts education to incarcerated students and fosters Grinnell's commitment to social justice. All donations are tax-deductable.
To contribute, visit Grinnell's donation page, and write "Liberal Arts in Prison Program" in the "other" field at the bottom of the page. You can also send a check payable to "Grinnell Liberal Arts in Prison Program," to the Liberal Arts in Prison Program, Grinnell College, Grinnell, IA, 50112. All of your donation will go to supporting the prison program.
The LAPP is extraordinarily inexpensive for a program with such great impact.
Over the last three years, working with an annual operating budget of $40,000, the program offered 15 accredited Grinnell College courses for a total of 41 credits at the Newton Correctional Facility, as well as 40 lectures by college faculty. More than 223 Grinnell students--nearly one in ten students of all students on campus--traveled to Iowa prisons and the Iowa Juvenile Home each semester to teach and tutor on a weekly basis.
Our program operates very economically:
- $20 covers supplies for an incarcerated students' 4-credit course
- $200 covers travel for a car full of Grinnell students to teach or tutor for a semester.
- $300 covers an incarcerated student's materials for a full year of coursework.
- $1000 covers an incarcerated student's enrollment in one semester of the First Year of College Program
- $6000 covers the full assigned cost of a 4-credit Grinnell College course in prison
Our PowerPoint Presentation for Prospective Volunteers provides helpful information for anyone who is considering applying to volunteer with the program. We hold our volunteer meeting for students early in the semester, so it is best to contact us as early as possible if you want to volunteer. Not everyone is guaranteed a spot because of space limitations.
For more information, contact the Liberal Arts in Prison Program at grinnellinprison[at]grinnell[dot]edu.