Advanced Scholars Program
ASP Application Deadlines
Fall Semester: Aug. 1
Spring Semester: Jan. 1
Important! ASP applications may be due earlier at area high schools. Check with your high school for internal deadlines.
The Advanced Scholars Program (ASP) enables outstanding secondary school students to study at Grinnell College while completing their secondary education requirements. It is designed for those who have exhausted their high school’s course offerings in certain subjects.
- This program is consistent with the Iowa Post-Secondary Enrollment Options Act.
- Grinnell College grants undergraduate credit for each course successfully completed. These credits will apply toward your Grinnell College degree if you are later admitted and attend Grinnell College as a degree candidate.
- ASP students are not charged Grinnell College tuition, however, additional fees may be assessed depending on your course enrollment, for instance studio art materials or music lesson fees. Please consult with the Cashier’s Office and/or The Office of Financial Aid if you have questions.
Who is Eligible?
- Secondary school students of any class standing: grades 9-12.
- You must be academically superior and prepared for the intellectual rigors of study at Grinnell College. For example, the average first-year student at the College graduated in the top 10 percent of her/his secondary school class and scored well on the SAT (1350 median) and ACT (30 median).
- Normally, you must have taken all secondary school courses directly relevant to the subject area in which you wish to study at Grinnell College.
How to Apply
To apply for the program, please send:
- A completed Grinnell College ASP Application for Admission.
- A recommendation from a high school counselor: Secondary School Report Form
- An official secondary school transcript.
- Official SAT, ACT, or PSAT/PLAN scores. Copies of score reports on official secondary school transcript are acceptable.
- The required application fee of $30. Applicants for whom this fee is a financial hardship can receive an application fee waiver.
Important! Acceptance into the ASP program does not constitute, nor does it guarantee, official admission to Grinnell College, nor placement in the Grinnell College courses of your choice.
How to Register for Courses
Once admitted to the program, submit a completed Advanced Scholars Program Registration Form to the Office of the Registrar, located on the ground floor of the John Chrystal Center.
Important! Approval from the Office of Admission is required the first time you register for Grinnell College courses as an ASP student.