Advanced Scholars Program
The Advanced Scholars Program (ASP) enables outstanding secondary school students to study at Grinnell College while completing their secondary education requirements. It is designed for those who have exhausted the course opportunities in the Grinnell High School (and other area high schools on a case-by-case basis) curriculum in certain subjects. This program is consistent with the Iowa Post-Secondary Enrollment Options Act. Acceptance of a student into the ASP is not a guarantee that the student guaranteed a place in all requested courses.
To be eligible for the program:
- ASP seeks students who are academically superior and prepared for the intellectual rigors of study at Grinnell College. For example, the average first-year student at the College graduated in the top 10 percent of her/his secondary school class and scored well on the SAT (1350 median) and ACT (30 median).
- Normally students must have taken all secondary school courses directly relevant to the subject area to be studied at Grinnell College.
- There is no cost to the student except for studio art supplies and private music lessons.
- Grinnell College credit will be granted for each course completed. These credits will apply toward the Grinnell College degree if the student is later admitted and matriculates as a degree candidate.
To apply for the program, please send:
- A completed Grinnell College ASP Application for Admission.
- A counselor recommendation (the Secondary School Report Form in the Application for Admission).
- An official secondary school transcript.
- Official SAT, ACT, or PSAT/PLAN scores. Copies of score reports on official secondary school transcript are acceptable.
- The required application fee of $30. Applicants from whom this fee is a financial hardship can receive an application fee waiver.
- Completed Advanced Scholars Program Registration Form.
- ASP applicants should submit all documents for fall semester enrollment by August 1 and by January 1 for the spring semester. Please note that the internal deadline for ASP applications at area high schools may be earlier - please be sure to check the deadline of your high school.