- Uphold the mission of Grinnell College and the Office of Diversity & Inclusion
- using diverse perspectives to support learning outcomes and contribute to the richness of a liberal arts education;
- Uphold the NCAA’s core value of diversity which urges a commitment to, “creating and supporting an inclusive culture that fosters equitable participation for student-athletes”;
- Provide members of historically underrepresented groups the opportunity to participate in an intercollegiate environment that recognizes and values a broad range of diverse identities;
- Use athletics as an extension of the greater campus community
- Use continued education, self-assessment and dialogue as tools to nurture a diverse intercollegiate athletic community;
- Celebrate the broad cultural identities of Pioneer athletes and athletic staff within and beyond the athletic arena.
Grinnell College Transgender Athlete Non-Discrimination and Participation Policy
Grinnell College athletics upholds the principles of diversity and inclusive excellence for all members of the Grinnell College community. In this spirit, Grinnell provides the following policy to enable and support the participation of transgender student-athletes in intercollegiate varsity athletics.
Coordinator for Diversity & Inclusion in Athletics
Nnenna Akotaobi has joined Grinnell College as Coordinator for Diversity and Inclusion t in Athletics/Assistant Coordinator for Athletic Facilities and Event Management. Prior to coming to Grinnell, Akotaobi served as the Midwest Conference Director of Championships and Assistant to the Commissioner.
At the MWC, she was an NCAA Division III Ethnic Minority & Women’s Internship Grant recipient. Akotaobi organized the first-ever MWC Diversity Summit, a professional development opportunity for representatives from intuitions in the MWC to come together to discuss issues of diversity. She also compiled data and created conference and institution-specific diversity reports.
She was a 2010 West graduate of the NACWAA Institute for Administrative Advancement, served as a meet management volunteer at the D-III National Swimming and Diving Championships and was freshman girl’s basketball coach and a summer camp coordinator at Ripon High School.
Her duties as Coordinator for Diversity & Achievement in Athletics include programming in the areas of recruitment, retention, education.
Pioneer Diversity Council
Learn about the Pioneer Diversity Council.