Free the Planet (FTP)
Free the Planet (FTP) is the student environmental group at Grinnell College. Divided into subgroups that focus on a specific issue each semester, FTP typically develops campaigns and projects that work on problems such as deforestation, global climate change, and water conservation.
FTP subgroups have recently:
- Presentated to Trustees on the benefits of college generated wind energy.
- Attended political speakers and asked for their position on global climate change.
- Organized and attended an activist training conference for environmentalists in the Midwest.
- Held a number of protests in Des Moines and Iowa City against companies, like Victorias Secret, who use old growth wood in their catalogues.
- Threw an Earth Week celebration that included a movie, burrito dinner, kite flying activities, and bonfire.
- Made and sold handmade notebooks out of recycled paper and cardboard collected from student computer labs.
FTP meets weekly at 9:00 pm in Loose Lounge.