SGA Student Environmental Committee
The SGA Student Environmental Committee (SEC) is a recently formed student government standing committee that serves as a link between the student body and the College on campus environmental issues. Specifically, the group works to:
- Inform and educate students about the College's environmental policies and practices
- Serve as a liaison between the student body and college administration in order to bring student environmental concerns to the attention of appropriate administrators
The SEC, its first semester, has responded to student environmental concerns and is currently:
- Establishing an annual rummage sale, where used student items donated at the end of the year are stored over the summer and sold in a rummage sale the following fall as a means to reduce campus waste
- Implementing a pilot program that will place recycling bins in student rooms and appoint a student dorm environmental coordinator to inform students of campus environmental policies and encourage participation in the pilot program
- Working with student affairs to establish a Swap Room, where students can trade unwanted items for other goods donated by their peers
SEC meetings are open to the campus community at large and the committee encourages students to attend and voice their environmental concerns. Alternatively, environmental concerns or suggestions can be emailed to the committee account at firstname.lastname@example.org. The issue or suggestion will be discussed at the next weekly meeting and the SEC will let the individual know how their concern or suggestion will be addressed.
Contact email@example.com with questions, concerns, ideas, or for meeting time and location. Also, check out the group's Plan for information and meeting minutes: [sgasec]
Six students-at-large committee members are selected at the beginning of each semester by the committee chair via an application process. Two Joint Board senators are also appointed to the SEC and report the committee activities at weekly Joint Board sessions. The committee chair is appointed by the incoming SGA President and holds a year-long position. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for information on membership opportunties.