Statement of Purpose
As a college gallery of distinction, the Faulconer Gallery promotes learning through artistic excellence and creative collaboration.
Goals and Strategies
Bring outstanding regional, national and international art to campus.
- Maintain a mix of contemporary and historical exhibitions in a variety of media, so that our audiences see the art of their own time as well as its sources in the past.
- Present every exhibition according to professional museum standards.
- Seek out opportunities for direct collaboration with artists and audiences on and off campus.
Shape and preserve a select permanent collection, primarily of works on paper.
- Expand the permanent collection with an emphasis on works of social commentary in modern and contemporary art.
- Develop collections that directly support exhibitions, teaching and research.
- Increase access to the collection.
Provide a variety of learning opportunities, with art as the primary source.
- Seek ways to make works in the collection a dynamic part of the learning process.
- Across the curriculum, facilitate the integration of the gallery and its resources in the classroom and in research.
- Work with artists, critics, and scholars to create a richer context for exhibitions and collections and to increase understanding of the creative process among all audiences.
- Increase understanding of museum professions.
Reach out to our audiences and build community through art.
- Implement creative outreach to students on campus and in area schools.
- Develop effective promotion and publicity to make our audiences aware of our efforts.
- Work with our communities on events and programs that increase their appreciation for fine arts.
- Make use of new technologies to foster connections.