Curious about Grinnell? Then consider coming to campus for our annual fall open house, Discover Grinnell! This two-day program, offered twice in October, invites prospective students and their families to experience a holistic introduction to all things Grinnellian. While campus tours, general information sessions, and overnight visits are available all year, Discover Grinnell offers “a much more in-depth view of Grinnell, as well as the opportunity to interact with a lot more faculty and students,” says Rachel Arseneault ’10, assistant director of admission and coordinator of campus visits and events.
At Discover Grinnell, you will have the opportunity to eat at the Marketplace Dining Hall, explore campus on general and department-specific tours, and attend targeted informational sessions that highlight the unique attributes at the core of a Grinnell education. Topics of these sessions include:
- Grinnell’s Distinct Vision: The Transformative Power of Engagement
- Grinnell pursues a distinctive, inquiry-driven, and individualized approach to education. Learn how Grinnell’s emphasis on engaging pedagogy, close ties with faculty, international exploration, and opportunities for challenge and growth outside the classroom create an innovative approach to the liberal arts for all our students.
- An Individualized Approach for Every Grinnellian: Teaching, Learning, Research, and Advising
- Discover how Grinnell’s unusual and highly effective individualized approach to advising, teaching, and research sets us apart. Faculty and student panelists will share insights about Grinnell’s unique First-Year Tutorial, the individually advised curriculum, and opportunities for mentored research.
- Global Grinnell: International Engagement
- Learn about the multiplicity of semester- and year-long study abroad programs, opportunities for course-embedded travel in the First-Year tutorial and other classes, and countless opportunities for international engagement right here on campus.
- Experiential Learning and Life Beyond Grinnell
- From the first week of classes, students are encouraged to thoughtfully consider how their own professional development can be pursued in accordance with their values and passions. At this seminar, you’ll learn about opportunities for internships, externships, fellowships, graduate and professional school advising, and professional coaching for prestigious awards, prizes, and fellowships.
An informational seminar about admission and financial aid will also be held, as will a resource fair featuring faculty from every department as well as staff members from Academic Advising and Student Affairs. Families are encouraged to attend.
To get a firsthand sense of what it’s like to live and learn at Grinnell, we encourage prospective students to stay overnight with a student host. You’ll get to hang out, enjoy a trivia night, and attend a class of your choice the following day. Besides an overnight bag, all you’ll need to bring is your “curiosity and questions,” says Arseneault.