Sections, in the Grinnell website, are subsites that work as a unit, and somewhat autonomously from the parent pages.
Examples include top level subsites, such as Athletics and the Faulconer Gallery, that have no other parent, as well subsites that belong to larger sections, such as Women's Swimming, the Russian department, and Dining Services. In fact, Grinnell.edu Help is its own section of the site.
Why have Sections?
Sections are designed to work as little (or not-so-little) mini-sites, but still retain their place in the larger Grinnell website. As such, they have a few features:
- Sections, such as offices, appear in the side navigation of their parent pages, making them easy to find.
- Sections display their own pages in the left-side menu, but do not display the parent site's navigation. This simplifies navigation, keeping the menus from getting incredibly complex.
- Pages in sections still display full breadcrumb navigation. This allows users to see where a page falls on the site and retains links to any parent sections.
- Sections can have a feature image that displays throughout the section, allowing for branding the section of the site.
- Sections can display their own contact information in the contact form at the bottom of each page. This allows the Russian department, for example, to provide their own email and phone information, instead of a generic campus contact form.
- Sections can also use subthemes.
Although these features are all possible with site sections, you don't have to take avantage of all of them. Many areas do not add a feature image, for example, and most don't use subthemes.
Setting Section Information and Feature Images
If you do not add contact information, the default Grinnell College information will be used.
Contact information used in the form at the bottom of each page includes:
- Name (how you want the section contact to be referred to in the form)
- Physical address (used by people needing to visit an office or deliver items)
- Email address (forms users complete on the site go to this address)
- Phone number
- Fax number