Food and Drink in Library Spaces
The library policy regarding food and drink is designed for the long-term health of the library’s users and collections. Uninvited insects and rodents that come to feast on sticky spills and crumbs will stay permanently, attracted to the cellulose (paper) and glue in our collections.
When we do find insects and other pests in the library, we must resort to chemical treatments, something we would like to keep to a minimum.
With a little help and self-governance on our users' part, we can accommodate the need for refreshment in the libraries while safely preserving the collections.
- Small snacks and covered beverages are permitted in most areas.
- Hot meals and messy, noisy, or strong-smelling foods are not permitted.
- All beverages must be covered.
- Patrons should clean up any spills right away. If you need additional assistance, see the circulation supervisor on duty.
- Patrons should dispose of all food, wrappers, and recycling in the proper receptacles.
- Deliveries of food to Burling and Kistle libraries are not permitted. Exceptions will be made for scheduled events that take place in the Libraries’ event spaces, since we can ensure clean-up there.
Last Revised: 2014 Nov. 24