The Cost of Scholarly Publications: Impact on the Grinnell College Libraries
Total library expenditures:
- FY12: $2,088,636
Library expenditures for books:
- total expenditure, FY12: $331,601
- average per book, FY12: $47.62
Library expenditures for journals and databases:
- total expenditure, FY12: $1,156,895
- average per title, FY12: $229.91
Note: Many of the most expensive journal titles (from publishers such as Elsevier and Wiley) are not on subscription at Grinnell but are accessible through pay-per-view.
Price increase for journals and databases to which the Grinnell College Libraries subscribe:
- from FY10 to FY11: 6.7% ($53,107)
- from FY11 to FY12: 8.2% ($87,883)
Copyright Permission Fees for Electronic Course Reserves (For Books and Journal Issues Already Owned):
- FY11: $44,012
- FY12: $35,376
For additional information on the prices of scholarly publications, see:
- Harvard University Libraries memo to the Faculty Advisory Council (April 17, 2012), http://isites.harvard.edu/icb/icb.do?keyword=k77982&tabgroupid=icb.tabgr...
- Carl Bergstrom and Ted Bergstrom, "The economics of scholarly journal publishing" (2001, with a 2006 update): http://octavia.zoology.washington.edu/publishing/--with analysis of journal prices by discipline, page count, and impact factor.
- Journal Pricing (SPARC): http://www.arl.org/sparc/pricing/
Open Access Task Force (http://www.grinnell.edu/library/services/facstaff/scholcomm)
Copyright and Scholarly Publishing: Impact on Teaching at Grinnell College (http://www.grinnell.edu/library/services/facstaff/scholcomm3)
What are Grinnell's Options? (http://www.grinnell.edu/library/services/facstaff/scholcomm6)
Taking Action: Further Information for Faculty and Other Authors (http://www.grinnell.edu/library/services/facstaff/scholcomm5)