2013 Mini-Grant Winners Announced
Thirteen Grinnell projects and initiatives will benefit from $34,000 in grant support this year from the Grinnell College Mini-Grant Program.
The mini-grant program is just one of the ways that Grinnell College's Community Enhancement and Engagement office offers to strengthen community resources and educational opportunities, as well as enhance the safety, beauty and economic vitality of Grinnell. The office also helps to address community needs, coordinates community partnerships, and supports student and employee engagement in off-campus activities. The mini-grants have played an especially important role.
"The support this community receives from Grinnell College through the mini-grants continues to impress me. The opportunity we are receiving to grow our science and discovery areas will help ensure that we are reaching all areas of development," said 2013 mini-grant recipient Kathleen Barnes, director of Grinnell Community Daycare and Preschool.
The following projects received mini-grant funding for 2013:
- Galaxy, Inc. Youth Programs for program awareness materials ($2,000)
- Grinnell Area Arts Council for expansion and renovation of Grin City studios ($2,000)
- Grinnell Area Arts Council for local music documentation project ($500)
- Grinnell Area Chamber of Commerce for Louis Sullivan Jewel Box Bank video tour and Historic Community Landmark tour ($5,000)
- Grinnell Community Daycare and Preschool for Creative Curriculum science expansion ($3,600)
- Grinnell High School, funding for band concert uniforms ($2,500)
- Grinnell Historical Museum Society for the restoration of a bicycle raced by Fred Spaulding 1899, champion bike racer ($1,200)
- Grinnell Lions Club to upgrade youth vision-screening equipment ($3,845)
- Grinnell Parks and Recreation Department for waterpark play feature ($1,875)
- Heart of Iowa Big Brothers Big Sisters "E-mentoring" pilot program ($4,512)
- Imagine Grinnell for tents and tables to support local wellness events ($1,246)
- Poweshiek Animal League Shelter for outdoor canine kennels ($3,400)
- Poweshiek County Fair Association to upgrade seating for community events ($2,322)