September 9 2013 02:27 pm
First-year students in Shuchi Kapila’s tutorial take a walk on the supernatural side as they study ghosts and literary ghost stories.
In the course, Ghost Stories, the students will explore questions such as:
- Do such fantasies provide an escape from an oppressive reality into a wish-fulfilling world or do they present an exaggerated or distorted version of the “real” world?
- What are literary ghosts and monsters?
- Are they particular to the historical moment in which they appear?
Texts for the course will include:
- Bram Stoker’s Dracula,
- Toni Morrison’s Beloved,
- Edgar Allan Poe’s “The Black Cat,” and
- Charlotte Perkins Gilman’s “The Yellow Wallpaper.”