Twelve Grinnell area organizations will benefit from $25,000 in grant support from the Grinnell College Mini-Grant Program for community-based projects and initiatives.
“The grant process was highly competitive with nearly 30 applications and $120,000 in requests,” said Monica Chavez-Silva, director of community enhancement and engagement. “Given the large number of requests, the committee focused on projects that have the greatest community impact and hold promise for longer term sustainability.”
Jen Jacobsen, wellness coordinator at Grinnell College and a member of the volunteer review committee, called the selection process “tough, because of the number of high quality, innovative applications, yet inspiring to see the passion of community members in making Grinnell an even better place to live for everyone.”
The following projects received mini-grant funding for 2012:
• Grinnell Area Arts Council for startup supplies for artist residency garden initiative ($1,000); also funding for Studio 4 “Free Imagination” pilot program ($800);
• Grinnell High School for curriculum development of seminar program ($3,000);
• Grinnell Historical Museum Society for technology upgrade to provide greater public access to local historical collections ($1,600);
• Grinnell Police Department for new crime scene camera to enhance investigations ($1,695);
• Imagine Grinnell to support launch of city-wide recycling efforts ($1,940);
• Mayflower Community for an audio-visual upgrade at the Carmen Center community space ($1,750);
• Mid-Iowa Community Action for construction of outdoor playscape and garden area ($4,000);
• New Horizons Alternative School to purchase iPads to enhance science education ($2,400);
• Poweshiek Animal League Shelter for materials to secure outdoor canine kennels ($1,565);
• Poweshiek County Mental Health Center for catalyst funding for a supported employment program ($2,850); and
• Rock Creek Alliance for funds to construct an accessible fishing pier at the state park ($2,400).
For more information about the mini-grant program, contact Chavez-Silva at 641-269-3900, firstname.lastname@example.org, or visit the website: http://www.grinnell.edu/Offices/communityenhance/minigrant.
- 30 -