Public events surrounding Faulconer Gallery’s showing of “Sandow Birk’s American Qur’an” continue in March on the Grinnell College campus. The Faulconer Gallery exhibition includes 85 panels of handwritten English translations and handpainted illustrations of the sacred text. Six of the panels in the exhibition are part of Grinnell College’s permanent art collection. The exhibition, organized by The Andy Warhol Museum of Pittsburgh, will be on view through Mar. 18.
The educational programming events, organized by Tilly Woodward, curator of academic and public outreach, provide opportunities “to learn about Islam, everyday American life, cultural differences and commonalities,” Woodward said. All of the events sponsored by Faulconer Gallery are free, open to the public, and located in the gallery unless otherwise noted:
• Feb. 28, 4:15 p.m.: Gallery talk by artist Sandow Birk, discussing his ongoing project.
• Mar. 1, 4:15 p.m.: Author Michael Muhammad Knight will read from and discuss “The Taqwacores,” about the Islamic punk music scene. Co-sponsored by Writers@Grinnell, the Department of Religious Studies, and the Center for the Humanities.
• Mar. 2, 4:15 p.m.: Panel discussion by author Knight, film director Omar Majeed, and musicians from Pakistani-American punk rock band The Kominas, who will talk about evolving Islamic punk culture in the U.S.
• Mar. 2, 7 p.m.: Screening of “Taqwacore: The Birth of Punk Islam,” followed by a director’s talk. The feature documentary traces the progression of the Muslim Punk scene. Co-sponsored by Cultural Films Committee, Student Government Association Films, Department of Religious Studies, and the Center for the Humanities.
• Mar. 7, 4:15 p.m.: Gallery talk by artist Harrell Fletcher on socially engaged and collaborative interdisciplinary projects. Co-sponsored by the Department of Art and the Center for the Humanities.
• Mar. 8, 4:15 p.m.: Workshop led by Fletcher exploring art and social practice. Co-sponsored by the Department of Art and the Center for the Humanities. Bucksbaum Rotunda.
• Mondays and Thursdays through Mar. 15, 12:15-12:50 p.m.: Yoga with Monica St. Angelo. Co-sponsored by Live Well Grinnell. Mats provided for beginners and experienced practitioners.
Faulconer Gallery, located in the Bucksbaum Center for the Arts, 1108 Park St. on the Grinnell campus, is open Tuesday-Wednesday, noon to 5 p.m., Thursday-Friday, noon to 8 p.m., Saturday-Sunday, noon to 5 p.m.; closed Monday. For more information about the exhibition and related programs, call 641-269-4660 or visit www.grinnell.edu/faulconergallery.