Grinnell College is welcoming back New York City's Metropolitan Opera for the 2012-2013 season. The fall semester will include six "Live in HD" performances at the Harris Center Cinema on the Grinnell campus. Shows start Saturdays at noon and will be preceded by a half-hour opera talk by select faculty and staff members at 11:30 a.m.
The Live in HD series will begin Oct. 13. Below are the operas that will be featured:
- October 13: Gaetano Donizetti's L'Elisir d'Amore, considered one of the greatest comic gems in opera
- October 27: Otello, Giuseppe Verdi's Shakespearean masterpiece
- November 10: The Tempest, composed and conducted by Thomas Adès, recreates the interior of 18th-century La Scala
- December 1: La Clemenza di Tito, Mozart's drama set in ancient Rome
- December 8: Un Ballo in Maschera, a dramatic story of jealousy and vengeance composed by Giuseppe Verdi
- December 15: Aida, Giuseppe Verdi's ancient Egyptian drama featuring the enslaved Ethiopian princess caught in a love triangle with the heroic Radamès and the proud Egyptian princess Amneris.
An encore presentation of Verdi's Otello will be shown on Oct. 31 at 6:30 p.m. with an opera talk at 6 p.m. This encore presentation will be a recording of an earlier live broadcast.
Synopses of the shows are available at http://www.metoperafamily.org/metopera/liveinhd/LiveinHD.aspx. Details for the spring 2013 Live in HD season will be announced at a later date.
Starting Aug. 24 for Met Opera members and Sept. 4 for the general public, tickets will be available for purchase at the Pioneer Bookshop in downtown Grinnell and the Grinnell College Bookstore: $15 for adults, $10 for students. Tickets will also be available at the Harris Center on the day of the show. Tickets for Grinnell College faculty, staff and students have been generously funded by the Office of the President and are available at no cost at all ticket locations.
Harris Center is located at 1114 10th Ave., with available parking east of the center on 10th Ave. Grinnell welcomes the participation of people with disabilities. Information on parking and accessibility is available on the college website. Accommodation requests may be made to Conference Operations at 641-269-3235 orcalendar[at]grinnell[dot]edu.